2/7/11

Best in Show

So a few weeks ago, I competed in this thing called "Teen Stylin'" which was hosted by VMFA (Virginia Museum of Fine Arts). It's something I'd been working on since October, and the show was recently. The objective of the workshop, was to create a garment based off of a piece of art in the museum and use alternative materials to create it. I got the crazy awesome 'Yamantaka' sculpture. It's this huge, monster of a sculpture (literally) And it's literal translation is 'Defeater of Death'. This obviously convinced me to make a bad-ass warrior goddess my beautiful friend Savannah embodied perfectly!
The materials I used included tyvec, rat wire, Cork board, beads, clothes pins, coffee filters, faux leather and an old jacket I dyed (by hand-nightmare!). It was such an amazing experience and when I won I broke down in tears like any other emotionally charged teenage girl would.
But as a prize, 5 other lucky boys and girls along with myself have won a fabulous trip to New York City during Spring break!!
I have to go hyperventilate now!

No comments:

Post a Comment